Here are five recent cardiology updates to know:
1. Washington, D.C.-based MedStar Washington Hospital Center performed the first robotic mitral valve surgery in the region.
2. Greensboro, N.C.-based Cone Health plans to create and renovate more than 260,000 square feet of its heart and vascular facilities.
3. Surgeons at Hollywood, Fla.-based Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital treated a patient with an opening defect in the heart wall using the first nonmetallic-framed transcatheter occluder.
4. Moultrie, Ga.-based Colquitt Regional Medical Center became the first in the state to offer patients the MyoSPECT, a new single-photon emission computerized tomography device.
5. Pacific Cardiovascular Surgical Center in Salem is the first single-specialty cardiovascular ASC certified in Oregon.