Here are six thoughts on the evolution of Amsurg and its leader, Chris Holden.
1. Just three to four years ago, Amsurg was an ASC company that relied 90 percent-plus on ASC earnings for its revenue.
2. Mr. Holden and his board saw slower growth in that arena. They set out to transform the company into a physician services company as opposed to a surgery center.
3. They bought several physician services firms and transformed Amsurg. Envision now generates its revenues from almost everything but ASCs and Mr. Holden is Director, President and CEO of Envision. Approximately 14 percent of revenues today are from ASCs.
4. This has not been an easy transition but it was a bold and needed one.
5. Today Envision agree to sell its company to KKR a behemoth PE firm for $9.9 billion. Envision's board unanimously approved the acquisition, which is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2018. If approved, Envision will become a privately owned company.
6. Kudos to Chris Holden and his insightful and bold efforts.