From a settlement to a data breach, here are five essential updates for ophthalmology leaders:
1. Ophthalmologist and founder of Betz Ophthalmology Associates of Lewisburg (Pa.) Louis Betz, MD, 81, died in a car accident April 7.
2. Rutland-based Central Vermont Eye Care suffered a data breach from a hacking incident.
3. A New York appeals court upheld a $1.2 million verdict against an eye surgeon after his patient went blind.
4. Nashville, Tenn.-based Vanderbilt Eye Institute, the largest ophthalmology practice in Tennessee and surrounding states, is opening a new eye center in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
5. Grand Blanc-based Retina Associates of Michigan settled allegations that it refused to allow a service animal beyond its patient waiting area.